The Friends of Historic Fort Logan organized as a nonprofit corporation on January 17, 1990, to work with CMHI at Fort Logan to preserve some of the historic buildings and to promote interest in the history of the fort and the community around it. Plans include restoration of the Field Officer’s Quarters to its original 1889 appearance. The Denver City Council designated the building as a historic landmark on November 19,1990, and the house is listed on the State Register of Historic Properties. Educational exhibits, tours and programs are available for schools and community groups.
To contact volunteers at the museum, e-mail Historic.Fort.Logan@gmail.com.
Interior restoration of the Field Officer’s Quarters began with upgrading of the electrical system through the generous donation of time and materials by members of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) and electrical contractors. With grants from the State Historical Fund, other foundations, private contributions and donated professional services, exterior renovation has included restoration of all the windows and much of the wood trim together with tuck-pointing bricks and repairing chimney caps.
Interior restoration of the house is ongoing, with refinishing of woodwork, floors and installation of period wallpaper complete in some rooms. Educational and interpretive exhibits are on display.
In 2011, Jack Ballard and other Friends of Historic Fort Logan gathered nearly 200 historic photographs for a book about Fort Logan that was published as one of the Arcadia Publishing Company’s Images of America series. The book can be purchased at the museum during open house hours or on-line at Arcadia Publishing’s website http://www.arcadiapublishing.com. (This is not a direct link; please copy the website address into your browser.)